Personal View of 'The Tower'(Marghanita Laski)

Title: The Tower

Rate: 8.5/10

    I want to compare 'the tower' which I read this time with 'A Manual for Cleaning Women' and 'The Yellow Wallpaper' I read before. Their similarity is that it is a short story about a woman as a protagonist. In that respect, these three stories can be said to be feminism stories. However, in the process of wrapping up the women's story, The Tower shows a distinct difference from the other two.

    The last part I want to focus on is the last part. In "A Manual for Cleaning Women," Maggie experiences the healing of humanity herself and grows further through this way. In "The Yellow Wallpaper," by the way, the main character crawls out of a yellow wallpaper room symbolizing oppression. These two depict a woman being freed from something in the last of the story.

    On the other hand, 'The Tower' doesn't look like that at all. Tired of continuous mansplaining, Caroline heads to the tower to show she can do something herself, but eventually cannot return home. I think this shows a woman who has not escaped oppression from men.

    I gave a high score(8.5) for two reasons; first, the storytelling is really interesting. It is hard to relieve when I read this book, it's like 'Caring for Plants.' Second, I think that the finish of the story better depicts the people who are oppressed by someone or something. Actually, people used to become lethargic, when they are oppressed by the environment. In the respect of reality, this ending was way better than the other two stories that I compared.




댓글

가장 많이 본 글